Cutest Blog on the Block

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Introducing the Hometown Heroes Project





When we started the Hometown Heroes Project as an idea of bringing community closer together and sharing local knowledge, I was excited for all the connections it could build, particularly between the older and younger generations, but I wasn't expecting to feel so enriched myself. We held our first Hometown Heroes event on Saturday, May 14, 2016 in my mom's living room. There was barely room for all the people who came to hear about Marba Hale's marvelous life and talents.


I had a blast and learned so much this morning as 87-year-old Marba Hale spoke, and shared her passions for opera and sewing. The beautiful music filled my heart, and the fun opera clips she played made me laugh with their ridiculous plot lines and elaborate costumes. I couldn't believe the talent that went into each doll costume and stuffed animal she had made, and I was pleased to find out how we could help her with the Charlie Project, to bring toys to the under-served children her son works with as an ecclesiastical leader. (FYI, I'm happy to act as a go-between if you want to donate Barbie dolls, doll clothes, porcelain dolls, and well-preserved stuffed animals to the project. Her goal is 100 by Christmas. Use the Contact Us page on our website.)

Thanks to Marba and her family for presenting! And thanks to all who came! Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the event.




No comments:

Post a Comment